Pasi Vainikka is a co-founder and CEO of Solar Foods, a company that creates food out of thin air. Dr. Vainikka is an enthusiastic researcher in the energy field. He’s also an adjunct professor at Lappeenranta university of technology.
Listen to Pasi's episode I
How is it possible to produce food out of thin air?
In this Futurebuilders podcast together with Pasi Vainikka and our daring host Teemu Uotila we will find out:
- How is it possible to produce food out of thin air?
- What are the benefits of producing food without agriculture?
- Are people ready for these new non-traditional foods?
- 3:24 75-80 % of greenhouse gas emissions are from energy sector, 20-25 % are from what we eat directly or indirectly.
- 4:25 How Solar Foods creates protein “out of thin air”?
- 7:05 How to use Solar Food’s protein powder and in which situations?
- 10:00 About having a healthy diet using the protein.
- 10:23 Production of Solar Food’s protein uses much less water than traditional agriculture.
- 14:15 What will the protein cost when it reaches the shelves?
- 16:58 About the project with ESA, The European Space Agency.
- 18:20 Solar Foods is not planning to produce food products themselves. They want to focus on turning electricity into edible calories.
- 21:45 This kind of food production contains the ability to fight famine.
- 23:40 People are taking the new protein in a very positive way. New food alternatives are supported.
- 24:36 Pasi emphasises the role of engineers as solution providers for individuals – so that people become empowered to make daily choices towards a better world.